BeBOLD Meringue Pie
4 BeBOLD Bars
4 tbsp butter, melted
4 tbsp flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
1. Place the BeBOLD Bars in a food processor and pulse a few times until you get a ground texture. Transfer to a small bowl, add melted butter and flour and mix until well combined.
2. Transfer mixture to a 9 inch pie pan and press firmly on the bottom and up the sides. Be Patient! To make the crust come all the way up the sides, press evenly on the bottom to work the excess crust up the sides.
3. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crust feels set and hard.
Filling and Meringue
1 cup white sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tbsp butter
4 egg yolks beaten
4 egg whites
6 tbsp sugar
1. Add sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt to a pan and mix. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook over medium heat while stirring often until the mixture comes to a boil. After it comes to a boil add butter.
2. In a separate small bowl beat the 4 egg yolks and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot sugar mixture. Add the egg yolk and hot sugar mixture back into the pan with the remaining sugar mixture. Bring it back to a boil and continue to cook while often stirring until it thickens.
3. Remove from heat and pour into the BeBOLD pie crust.
1. Add egg whites to an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Increase the mixer speed to medium high and beat until soft peaks are formed. While continuing to beat the egg whites slowly and gradually add the sugar until stiff and glossy peaks form.
2. Add the meringue over the pie filling and make sure you spread the meringue all the way to the edges so that it touches the crust.
3. Bake for about 15 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.
Recipe Create by Mariana Dineen, RD and Founder of elementohealth.com