Some of us eat breakfast right when you wake up and for others their “breakfast” is at brunch or lunch time, regardless of the time you start, it’s what you put on your plate that can make a difference in your energy levels and whether or not you experience food cravings later in the day. Aim to have a balance of nutrients to keep you full and satisfied longer and give you consistent energy until your next meal or snack.
To get the most out of your breakfast include the following:
- Protein to satisfy: Greek yogurt, eggs, tofu, nuts, seeds, BeBOLD Smoothie has everything right in the bar, just add nuts and frozen banana and off you go!
- Fiber-rich carbohydrates for sustained energy such as fruit, oats, quinoa, or whole grain toast
- Fat to slow digestion and keep blood sugar stable from avocado, seeds, nuts or nut butter, or full-fat yogurt
- Produce for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants (any fruits or veggies you like)
If you’re short on time in the morning, we’ve got you. Here are 10 quick and easy breakfast ideas, many of which can be eaten on-the-go.
- Peanut butter banana overnight oats. These oats are as filling as they are delicious. The mix of ingredients packs in protein, fiber, and fat in the most delectable combination, you almost won’t believe it’s good for you.
- PB&J overnight oats. Another perfect combination of satisfying ingredients packed with incredible flavor, these overnight oats will keep you energized all morning long.
- Apple spice yogurt bowl. The cinnamon and nutmeg add a little sweetness without too much added sugar, and the apples and pepitas add fiber and protein. Plus the BeBOLD bar crumbled on top feels like a treat, but is packed with good-for-you ingredients.
- Avocado toast on sprouted grain bread with hemp seeds and (optional) egg. Take your avocado toast up a notch by adding hemp seeds (and maybe an egg) for protein. We recommend sprouted grain bread for the additional fiber and protein it has to offer.
- High protein baked oatmeal. Perfect for a weekend morning or a make ahead breakfast that satisfies, this high protein baked oatmeal takes oats to a new level of satisfaction. It’s customizable so you can choose your favorite flavor combos or stick
with the traditional blueberry and walnut.
- Vegan banana bread and chickpea smoothie When you may not feel like eating a big breakfast, but want something that stays with you, this vegan banana bread and chickpea smoothie is perfect. It’s great for busy mornings because you can take it on the
go. Skeptical of beans in a smoothie? They’re actually a under appreciated smoothie ingredient that adds creaminess along with a big dose of protein and fiber — and we promise, you won’t even taste them.
- BeBOLD bar with a banana and hard boiled egg. For a quick on-the-go breakfast that’s protein-rich and guaranteed to fill you up, pair a hard boiled egg with your favorite BeBOLD bar.
- Veggie loaded breakfast taco casserole. Calling all taco lovers — this breakfast is for you. It’s high in protein from the eggs and black beans, which are balanced out with fiber from the beans and veggies and a little flavor and fat with the cheddar cheese. Make ahead and reheat for an easy weekday breakfast.
- Plain Greek yogurt topped with mixed berries and a crumbled BeBOLD bar. Simple, filling, and delicious. That’s what we love about this quick combo.
- Sprouted grain toast with nut butter, hemp seeds or chia seeds, and sliced strawberries. For those that prefer a sweet toast option, this is like an adult PB&J. It’s filled with fiber, protein, and fat, and only takes a couple of minutes to put together.
Sarah Gold Anzlovar, MS, RDN, LDN is a registered dietitian, certified intuitive eating counselor, and the owner of Sarah Gold Nutrition, a virtual private practice and nutrition communications consulting business in the suburbs of Boston. She empowers busy women to ditch diets and learn to eat to feel their best without the stress.